If you have made the decision to undergo laser hair removal, there are several ways that you can help to optimise the end-result. A common mistake of those undergoing the treatment is a lack of understanding towards providing the skin with the necessary prepartation and laser hair removal aftercare. At Skin Perfection London, we want to ensure that your treatment reaches its full potential and therefore we have put together some tips on how to prep your skin for treatment and to manage your aftercare, for the best results possible:
Laser Hair Removal Prep:
- Shaving within 12 hours before your treatment will remove the necessary amount of hair growth to avoid stinging during the procedure. Unlike waxing, we do not need to see the outer growth of the hair to remove it.
- Skin should be free of any fake tan and it’s vital not to undergo sun or tanning bed exposure before laser hair removal. Wear a high factor SPF and keep the skin thoroughly moisturised.
- For laser hair removal to work, there needs to be a hair follicle present! Do not wax, pluck or epilate for up to 4 weeks before treatment. Shaving is acceptable as this does not eliminate the hair follicle beneath the surface of the skin.
- Before a treatment of laser hair removal, make sure that your skin is clean, dry and free from any cosmetics, lotions, deodorants or make up.
- Wear loose and comfy clothing to your appointment so that you can easily expose the areas to be treated and feel comfortable after the session.
Laser Hair Removal Aftercare:
- Do not pluck or wax any hair on the area that was treated. This can disrupt the treatment process and stimulate the hair follicle, leading to potential regrowth.
- Exfoliate the area when any redness has subsided. This will be approximately one to two weeks after your appointment.
- Avoid extremely hot baths, showers or steam rooms for at least 48 hours, post-treatment.
- Apply a vitamin E cream or oil if any pigmentation or discolouration occurs. This will help to soothe the skin.
- Avoid direct sunlight for at least two to four weeks following your treatment.
- Mineral make-up may be used on any facial areas treated with laser hair removal. To avoid any irritation, other cosmetics should be avoided until the skin has had time to heal.
- Avoid the use of deodorants for at least three days after your treatment, to avoid irritation of the skin.
- Itching is a rare side effect of laser hair removal. However, if this occurs, it’s important not to scratch the affected area as this can break the skin, causing a scab which could lead to scarring.
- Avoiding excessive exercise for up to 48 hours following treatment will minimise any irritation.
Good laser hair removal aftercare is vital for the best results. Yes, this treatment is the most effective way to permanently reduce excess and unwanted hair ,but your aftercare is required to deliver essential care to the skin and maintain a flawless finish.
For more information on pre-and post-care with laser hair removal, or to book a consultation, speak with one of the Skin Perfection team today on 0207 629 4116.