Suffering from acne isn’t limited to your teenage years only. Acne can appear at any age for a number of reasons and on any part of your body, including your back. Back acne is usually a result of excess oil and dead skin cells that build up over time. But bad habits can also be the cause of your breakouts too.
To treat your acne, first you need to understand why do you have it. And what makes it worse?
Your body produces sebum, which is an oil that comes from your glands and connected to your hair follicles. To keep your skin and hair moist this oil moves up in the hair follicles. However if too much oil and dead skin cells build up you’ll see pimples appear. As a result, your pores will get blocked and cause bacteria, that’ll lead to acne breakouts.
The most common reasons of acne are
- Hormones – During teenage year, hormonal changes often cause acne, but they may affect your skin at later stages of your life as well.
- Medications – Acne can develop as side effect of certain medications.
- Sweat – Sweat, rubbing, tight clothing can create a perfect environment for breakouts and spread of bacteria.
- Lifestyle habits – Greasy foods, chocolate, and dairy don’t cause acne but certain foods can aggravate it. If you’re currently following a strict skincare routine, but your skin doesn’t seem to be improving, you should evaluate your diet as the next step. Dairy and greasy foods are known to cause problems for current acne sufferers.
In most cases you can treat your back acne with home skin care products. And by making more conscious lifestyle choices.
Here are some tips that you can also do to prevent breakouts
- Eat healthy – Research shows that foods high on the glycemic index (GI), meaning they cause your blood sugar to rise quickly, may make acne worse. These foods include white breads, white pasta and rice, and white potatoes. Instead try to fill you diet with vegetables, fruits, protein and whole grains.
- Shower daily and after each workout – Don’t let sweat sit on your skin as it’ll create the perfect ground for breakouts.
- Exfoliate your skin regularly – By using gentle exfoliating scrubs you remove the oil and dirt from the skin. This will then reduce the amount of dead skin cell that could block your pores and prevent acne from forming.
- Wear loose fitting clothing – Friction can cause sweating and irritation to your skin. This will result in tight clothing rubbing the sweat, oils and dirt in your skin blocking your pores in the process.
- Choose your oil free skin care – Greasy products can also contribute to the clogging of your pores. Make sure to choose products that are oil-free and light on the skin.
To learn more about your skin and which skin care products you should use, why not visit us at the Clinic where my Expert team will look after you?
How to book an appointment?
As the first step of your skin journey at Skin Perfection, you will be invited to attend a no obligations consultation. This will give you the opportunity to get a good understanding of your skin.
Following your assessment your practitioner will recommend you a personalised treatment plan. During your first meeting you will receive all the information and knowledge you will need to keep your skin healthy.
Contact our team today to book an appointment.