Preparation and aftercare for microneedling are the start and end point of your actual treatment. If you’re ready to invest time and money in your treatment why not give it your all? After all you wouldn’t go the gym then on your way home buy a burger or a pizza. If you want to learn how to maintain your results without undoing the progress keep reading for our expert aftercare advice.
What is microneedling?
Microneedling is the insertion of pinpoint needles being inserted into the skin creating micro-channels for the purpose of creating a wound healing response with intense renewal, repair, and rejuvenation.
Microneedling has two key benefits when carried out correctly. It effectively stimulates collagen formation and provides a clear channel for topical serums and active ingredients to be absorbed through the surface of the skin.
What makes Microneedling so unique?
Microneedling treatments compared to other rejuvenation treatments such as laser or skin peels alone has minimal downtime and is suitable for all skin types.
What to do after microneedling to ensure your results are maintained?
- For the first 1-3 days, the skin will may feel dry and tight. Frequent use of post-session topical will help alleviate this. After 2-3 days you can return to regular skin care products.
- Avoid the use of make up for at least 24-48 hours. This will leave enough time for your skin recover. It’s vital that you let the skin breathe for 24 hours after the treatment. The skin channels are open, and applying makeup can penetrate the pores causing further irritation.
- Avoid active topical skincare. Applying high dosage of active topical skin care ingredients (including but not limited to): retinoid, hydroquinone, AHA, BHA, benzoyl peroxide, alcohol, chemical based sunscreen
- Avoid spray tan or tanning creams (Spray or self-tanning) for at least 2-3 weeks.
- Avoid further clinical treatments for at least 2 weeks. (including, but not limited to): microdermabrasion, laser, IPL, chemical peels, muscle
- Drink plenty of water. It is important to stay hydrated before and after your procedure to help your skin heal and rejuvenate faster.
- Avoid swimming for least a week post procedure
- Avoid tattooing (including cosmetic tattooing)
- Vitamin A products are optimal and suggested. (low dose)
- Avoid alcohol-based toners for 10-14 days.
- Avoid direct sun exposure for at least 10 days if possible. When exposed to the sun, always use sun screen SPF30 or above.
- Do not apply chemical sunscreen the same day as treatment. Only Use approved physical defence sunscreen.
- The use of an Antioxidant serum will promote healing and assist in soothing the skin and further irritation.
- As microneedling serves to stimulate the production of collagen, the skin needs higher amounts of collagen than normal to recover optimally. Collagen Stimulating Peptides assist in that process, further aiding in the stimulation of collagen production.
- It is important to stay hydrated before and after the procedure to help the skin heal and rejuvenate faster.
- Gently exfoliate the skin after 3-5 days to remove the flaky dead skin that commonly forms after treatments.
- Oral supplements can help benefit the skin and improve the result of treatment.
- Omega 3, Zinc, Vitamin c and glucosamine.
To learn more about your skin and micro needling, why not visit us at our Oxford Street clinic, in Central London? My Expert team will start with a thorough assessment of your skin.
How to book an appointment?
As the first step of your skin journey at Skin Perfection, you will be invited to attend a no obligations consultation. This will give you the opportunity to get a good understanding of your skin.
Following your assessment a personalised treatment plan will be recommended to address your skin concerns. During your first meeting you’ll receive all the information and knowledge you’ll need to keep your skin healthy.
Contact our team today to book an appointment.