With so many new magic products on social media no wonder if you feel overwhelmed when it comes to your battle with acne. How come all the shiny ads promise the world, yet their product is another let down that makes you feel like there’s no solution. So what’s the secret and which acne products work the best? How can you restore balance in your skin and a healthy glow in your complexion?
To treat it first you need to understand why acne happens?
Acne is caused by the production of excess sebum. Which is an oil that stops your skin from drying out. This oil clumps together with dead skin cells within your pores, causing an acne lesion or spot.These lesions vary in size and severity. And form when bacteria enters the pores. Triggering an inflammatory response from the immune system.
What acne products work the best?
Acne can be an incredibly complex condition one that can present different grades in severity. Just as your skin is unique, your skincare also requires a holistic approach when it comes to choosing the best products to fight your acne. While not every product will work for you, there are a few key ingredients to fight acne, and those are the ones you should be on the look out for.
To clear your acne make sure you incorporate these products in your daily skin care;
- Beta -Hydroxy Acid ( BHA) – SALICYLIC ACID – Oil soluble exfoliant that goes deep into your pores to clear acne and blackheads. I recommend BHA if you have sensitive, acne prone skin. As Salicylic acid is anti- inflammatory it helps to calm your skin and minimise redness.
- Azelaic acid – A natural acid that helps remove the dead skin cells faster and penetrates into the skin to destroy bacteria. As a result a great treatment for acne and patients who have sensitive skin and if you suffer from rosacea.
- Hyaluronic Acid ( HA) – Naturally produced by your body. But thanks for the ageing and environmental factors the amount of HA in your body tends to drop by time. However it’s key to maintain hydration in the skin. So it feels and looks healthy and hydrated.
- Moisturizer – That right you must moisturise to avoid acne. Acne can occur on patients without an oily skin too, after build up of dead skin cells in the pores. As a result this build up forms lumps on your skin. Bacteria can also build up and make your symptoms worse. When your skin lacks moisture it will get dry and scaly. To balance the dryness, your glands start producing more sebum. What happens if you have too much oil? It builds up in your pores and coupled with dead skin cells will block your pores resulting in pimples, inflamed spots or blackheads.
- Exfoliator – Regardless if you have mild or severe acne, regular exfoliation will smooth and soften your skin and also brighten your complexion. Exfoliation will also help your pores from becoming clogged with dead skin cells and excess oils. Which means it will also help to reduce breakouts. Although exfoliation is super important to keep your skin clear of acne, however if you suffer from breakouts and sensitive skin, you must avoid harsh scrubs, sponges and cloths that could irritate your skin. Instead of physical exfoliants you should opt for chemical exfoliants. Chemical exfoliants use acids ( glycolic, lactic, salicylic acids) or enzymes to dissolve the glue that holds dead skin cells together without any irritating scrubbing action.
- PRESCRIPTION STRENGTH TOPICAL TREATMENTS FROM A DR – In some extreme cases, if you suffer from severe acne you may need antibiotics in combination with your skincare.
Understanding your products is absolutely crucial when it comes to treating your acne at home. Many patients tend to overuse products or mix the wrong skincare. Resulting in more harm than relief to the skin. You should always consult a trained professional about the right skincare regime. Also the person who recommends you these products should be re-assessing your skin’s response to them regularly.
To learn more about your skin and how you can prevent or manage your acne, why not visit us at our Oxford Street clinic, in Central London? My Expert team will start with a thorough assessment of your skin.
How to book an appointment?
As the first step of your skin journey at Skin Perfection, you will be invited to attend a no obligations consultation. This will give you the opportunity to get a good understanding of your skin.
Following your assessment a personalised treatment plan will be recommended to address your skin concerns. During your first meeting you’ll receive all the information and knowledge you’ll need to keep your skin healthy.
Contact our team today to book an appointment.