Have you ever experienced breakouts and the appearance of spots? Yet you aren’t someone who has oily skin? And never really suffered from acne? Are wondering what could’ve triggered your sudden breakouts? Dif you know that dry skin can cause spots too? That’s right. Acne is not only affecting patients with oily skin, but may also happen if you skin is too dry.
Can dry skin cause spots?
Spots can occur even without an oily skin, after build up of dead skin cells in your pores. As a result this build up forms lumps on your skin. Combined with bacteria your symptoms may appear worse.
When your skin lacks moisture it will get dry and scaly. To balance the dryness, your glands start producing more sebum. What happens if you have too much oil? It builds up in your pores and coupled with dead skin cells will block your pores resulting in pimples, inflamed spots or blackheads.
How to keep your skin hydrated to prevent spots and further breakouts?
- A consistent skincare routine will always be your best chance to prevent and treat acne and dry skin. However if you suffer from sensitivity, make sure that you select your skincare after careful consideration.
- Harsh products can aggravate your skin. So your first choice should always be products that will calm your skin and reduce irritation. Avoid products that contain perfume, oils, heavy moisturisers and dyes. These can all irritate your skin causing further symptoms.
- You should avoid scrubs and exfoliating. And opt for cleansers that are gentle to your skin. While gentle cleansers remove oil, dirt and bacteria they will not over dry your skin. When cleansing your face use luke warm water instead of hot water that can dry and damage your skin.
- Use oil free moisturisers straight after washing your face.
- If you wear make up, make sure you never go to bed without cleaning your skin. And while we are on the topic of make up, you should opt for mineral make up, that won’t clog your pores. Some brands like Colourscience contain active ingredients, that will penetrate to the deeper layers of the skin to aid healing and treat your skin while offering a good coverage.
- And a last tip that is more relevant than ever. STOP touching your face. Touching your face can transfer dirt and bacteria ( and viruses!) to your face that can trigger acne breakouts.
To learn more about your skin and which skin care products you should use, why not visit us at the Clinic where my Expert team will look after you?
How to book an appointment?
As the first step of your skin journey at Skin Perfection, you will be invited to attend a no obligations consultation. This will give you the opportunity to get a good understanding of your skin.
Following your assessment a personalised treatment plan will be recommended to address your skin concerns. During your first meeting you’ll receive all the information and knowledge you’ll need to keep your skin healthy.
Contact our team today to book an appointment.