Has your skin started to develop signs of dryness as the winter arrived? Have you noticed that your skin is dehydrated, flakes and presents a rougher texture? It may well be due the colder weather which is when your skin needs more attention than ever. So what are the signs of dry skin? And how can you keep your skin hydrated and prevent painful skin conditions to develop?
What are the signs of dry skin?
If your skin is dehydrated it means your skin is simply lacking water. In most cases you may notice your skin looking dryer, itchy and dull. Your overall complexion changes and may appear uneven. Not to mention fine lines get more noticeable too. And there are the extreme skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis that can flare up as a result of dry skin.
Other signs of dry skin may include;
- Flaking, rough texture
- Cracks in the skin that can be painful and often bleed too
- Itchyness, redness that looks like you developed a rash/ allergic reaction
- More visible fine lines and wrinkles
- Peeling skin
- Sore lips, that crack, may also bleed and feel stingy/sensitive
- Breakouts – can be sign of the dry skin too, as your skin starts over producing oil
When you follow the same skin care routine over and over, it may stop working when the humidity drops. And slight changes may be needed. Without adjusting your skincare, dry air can cause strain to your skin and you suffer from the above signs as a result.
However by adding a few extra steps into your skincare routine you can prevent your skin from getting dehydrated and avoid suffering from those conditions.
Here are a few easy steps you can implement now;
- Moisturise frequently. Also immediately after cleansing, baths/showers. The idea is to trap moisture in the skin to prevent it from drying out, but this will only work if you do it right after drying the skin.
- Limit the time you spend in the bath/shower. Instead of using hot water choose loose warm water.
- Wash with a gentle, fragrance free cleanser/shower gel.
- Blot your skin dry with the towel instead of rubbing.
- Switch to creams or ointments instead of lotions. Those are more effective yet irritating to your skin.
- Apply lip balm regularly throughout the day and before going to bed
- Wear gloves to keep your hands from drying out
- Switch to non-bio laundry detergents
- Wear clothing that is not irritating your skin.
- Add moisture to the air by using humidifiers.
To learn more about your skin or if you need help restoring a healthy glow to your skin, why not visit us at Oxford Circus? My Expert team will take good care of you while restoring balance and hydrating to your skin.
How to book an appointment?
As the first step of your skin journey at Skin Perfection, you will be invited to attend a no obligations consultation. This will give you the opportunity to get a good understanding of your skin.
Following your assessment your practitioner will recommend you a personalised treatment plan. During your first meeting you will receive all the information and knowledge you will need to keep your skin healthy.
Contact our team today to book an appointment.