You may not be suffering from acne on a daily basis, but have you noticed breakouts to be the tell tale sign of your period approaching?In addition to bloating, moodiness, and cramps, acne before your period is another common symptom of premenstrual syndrome. But why acne occurs before your period? And how to manage the breakouts?
Why acne occurs before your period?
Just before your period starts, estrogen and progesterone levels drop. This can trigger your sebaceous glands to produce more sebum. Sebum is an oil that lubricates your skin. Too much can result in clogged pores and breakouts.
Hormones can also increase skin inflammation and the production of acne-causing bacteria hence why you may experience the odd breakout before your monthly cycle. These tend to show 7-10 days before your cycle and often go away without treatment.
Some of my patients report no acne in some months, but experience a more spots during other months.
Preventing and treating acne before your period
- Avoid touching your face to keep it clear of bacteria that can cause flare-ups.
- Wash your face twice a day with an oil-free cleanser.
- Make sure to remove your makeup and clean your skin before going to bed.
- Use your fingertips to apply a gentle cleanser. Avoid using a sponge or facecloth because they can irritate your skin and make inflammation worse.
- Use gentle, alcohol-free products. Avoid products that can irritate your skin, such as toners and exfoliants.
- Avoid makeup containing oil.
- Take a shower after exercising or heavy sweating.
- Avoid wearing tight-fitting clothing.
- Eat a well-balanced diet with a minimal amount of refined sugars and fats.
To learn more about your skin and how can you prevent acne why not visit us at the Clinic where my Expert team will be able to advise you further?
How to book an appointment?
As the first step of your skin journey at Skin Perfection, you’ll be invited to attend a no obligations consultation. This will give you the opportunity to get a good understanding of your skin.
During your first meeting you’ll receive all the information and knowledge you’ll need to keep your skin healthy. Finally to manage your skin concerns your practitioner will recommend you a personalised treatment plan.
Contact our team today to book an appointment.