Laser hair removal has taken the beauty and aesthetic industry by storm. And it’s not likely it will be stripped off its glory by any other hair removal treatment anytime soon. But aside from the wide list of benefits just like any other treatment laser hair removal has its very own risks, if the protocols are not being adhered to. And with more salons and unexperienced staff carrying out treatments, it’s good to be aware of what can go wrong and what are the cons of laser hair removal?
What are the cons of laser hair removal?
- scabbing and crusting
- erythema edema
- redness and heat rash
- hyper/hypo pigmentation (darkening or lightening of the skin)
- occasional blistering
- occasional burning of the skin
- possible scarring and bruising
These possible side affects may take several weeks to heal and resolve and in some cases, which is uncommon, may not disappear completely. However it’s very important to emphasise these are very rare in occurrence and if protocols are strictly being followed very unlikely to occur.
How to avoid such side effect occurring
- Please follow the sun exposure protocol set out by your laser practitioner. This includes exposure to sun beds as well the use of fake tan and other tanning products.
- Report any new medication or changes in your medical records to your practitioner.
- Attend a new patch test after each sun exposure, as well as after every break that is longer than 6 months.
- Avoid dry shaving on the day of your appointment.
- No products with active ingredients to be applied to your skin prior the treatment.
- Avoid steam rooms, hot bath/showers, saunas for at least 48 hours post treatment.
- avoid exercise or any sports that cause sweating and rubbing of your skin.
To learn more about laser hair removal, why not book a consultation with my Expert team, who will be able to confirm your suitability and guide you through a safe journey.
How to book your consultation and what happens during your first visit?
As the first step of your hair removal journey at Skin Perfection London, we request that you attend a no obligations consultation and skin test. Firstly, this gives you the opportunity to learn more about the process. How does laser hair removal work? Why is it effective?
How many treatments you need? What’s the best laser for your skin type? How to prepare your skin for the treatment? And what to be aware of before undergoing laser hair removal. Finally to confirm suitability we’ll carry out a quick patch test.
We are looking forward to welcoming you at SP. Our highly trained and skilled aesthetic practitioners have many years of experience, so you can be confident you’re in the best hands. And, you can be sure, you’ll always have a stress-free relaxing experience.
Contact our team today to book an appointment.